Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cool Carrots

Would you eat baby carrots if they came in cute packaging like this?
I heard a story on NPR that carrot farmers have banned together in a $25 million marketing campaign to appeal to those who would rather grab a bag of Cheetos than baby carrots.  They've created an over-the-top commercial, much like Doritos or Mountain Dew.  They've also repackaged the carrots (see story link) and have installed baby carrot vending machines in high schools. 
Guess what?  It has been working!  Carrots are cool.  One student called them "cute".  I totally love this initiative!  Baby carrots...baby steps.  And I'm all for better designed packaging.   

{Image 1 via Lark}  

5 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

I love snacks--carrots and chips. That packaging is super cute
xoxo
SC

Kate (Southern-Belle-Simple) said...

i hadn't heard of this, but it makes perfect sense! i used to match my straw to my drink can in high school....like color coordinate them! although i have to say i do love cheetos on occasion! this is my first visit to your lovely blog and it definitely won't be my last! xoxo

JMW said...

What a cute idea! I'm not surprised this is working - it's amazing the effect pretty packaging and good marketing have on people. Maybe now I can have some success pushing carrots on my kids!

Nelle Somerville said...

Ooh can't wait to see the commercials. I'm rooting for you carrots. Get it, root-ing. :)

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

root-ing. i love it! funny!