Friday, April 8, 2011

Mary Mary Quite Contrary

When I saw this picture of a rooftop garden in Brooklyn, it immediately brought me back to summer days in NYC.  It also makes me want to string lights in the backyard, which is so tricky since it can look so wrong so quickly.  How do some get it just right?
{via}
We've been planting hot pink geraniums, a garden of vegetables, and soon will work on climbing wall ivy, hydrangeas, etc.  We have our work cut out for us!  Doesn't Stella look so sweet here?  Last night she had a temper tantrum and screamed so loud it set off the glass break sensor on our alarm.  Sweet Child O'Mine. 
Strawberry plants for our strawberry pot...
Of course, we all want a garden just like Jane's from It's Complicated.  I was green with envy watching it (I recently saw it for the first time) and was immediately curious about it, figuring that it created a lot of chatter amongst green thumbs.  I was relieved once I read this article that explains it was the movie version of real.  Whew! 
Now I'm on the hunt for garden signs - I think these may work.  They are reusable and the white chinagraph pencil won't wash off in the rain.  I've been perusing Terrain a lot lately!   
While out in the yard, I gave the camera to Stella - here are her shots:
Have a wonderful weekend!  xo


 


11 comments:

birdie blue said...

your garden looks beautiful, tiffany. love the strawberry pot and miss stella's shoes.

xo
~molly

acp said...

i miss drinking on anna's rooftop!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Me, too, Adrienne! xoxo

Town and Country Gals said...

Tiffany,
Sounds like your garden is coming along! Like the list of things you are planting. Stella's shoes are darling! She may be our next star photographer!
Reecca

Mo Pie, Please said...

So many things to comment on in this post! I love her little studded shoes! And that she helps you garden. And that string lights in gardens are my absolute faves!

Evie said...

Gardening is so exciting isn't it! I'm still trying to figure out how to do it in this little apartment...you've made me want some strawberry plants though!

Also, I don't know the exact trick to the strung up lights, but this would be my guess: It has to do with spacing, taughtness of strand, and bulb type. But who knows! I do love the look though...

Tessa said...

HI TIFFANY!! :) What a wonderful little garden you've got going on and such a sweet helper!! I too am dreaming of the same beach cottage - I'm calling dibs on one in Nantucket, just want to make sure you aren't stealing mine. And why oh why are you introducing me to another fabulous food blog? This from the girl who is inspiring me to cut back on my blog reading a bit!!?? Actually, I need some new food inspiration so I am grateful! I do hope you are having a lovely weekend! I just enjoyed myself catching up on your posts!!

xo,
Tessa

annechovie said...

Aw, love the photo of your precious Stella. She is beyond adorable, Tiffany. xo

The enchanted home said...

Your garden looks amazing! Your little "helper" is too cute!! I love gardening and can't wait till its warm enough to start up again...so happy to have found your lovely blog. Am your newest follower...please visit me too, have a newish blog about the buliding of our new home and my love for decor and design!
www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

JMW said...

The part about Stella setting off the alarm cracked me up! I spent some time working in the flower beds this weekend, too. It was so nice - had to take advantage of the warm weather. And, I could go crazy on Terrain's website. It's best that I not have a credit card around when browsing it!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I love her precious little shoes!