Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Oysters + Saltines

Fresh oysters with champagne mignonette?  No way.  When I was younger, my grandfather and I would sit on his dock in Florida as he'd shuck oysters on the spot.  He'd put them on Saltines with a dash of Tabasco and thus started my love for oysters.  To this day, that is exactly how I still like them.  I have a dream to open the cutest little oyster/lobster roll bar here in Dallas.  I absolutely love the likes of Pearl Oyster Bar, Mary's Fish Camp in NYC, and all the lobster roll shacks that you find roadside in Maine, such as Red's.  We just don't have anything like that here.  Lately, I keep coming across this oyster bar in Seattle, The Walrus and The Carpenter.  Then just as I was flipping through the current Bon Appetite, I saw they listed it as one of the Best New Restaurants In America.  I love that it's a clever nod to Lewis Carrol and the interior is just the cutest!  How quickly can I book my flight?   






6 comments:

Evie said...

I love the name of that oyster bar! I hate to say I'm not an oyster fan, you know being a life long vegetarian and what not, but I think opening a place like that sounds wonderful, you should do it!!!

The Southland Life said...

yum, yum!!! i love a good oyster on a saltine! that place looks fab!

The enchanted home said...

Looking for a partner? Lets go global! I love the idea, what a totally cool restaurant with an equally cool name...I too though I know the restaurant biz sucks and there is little money in it and you spend every waking hour there, also have a dream of opening up a special little cafe, very French bistro feeling, I have it all planned out (in my head that is) I love your idea!!!!

Your Southern Peach said...

I have tried so many times to "like" oysters but I cannot do it. I've tried fried, raw, with and without sauces.

I'd surely hang out in this cute little place and drink some wine though :)

JMW said...

Okay, now I want oysters! I love them, too. In fact, the last time I had dinner with the girls, it was a lobster and oyster po-boy. Yum! Home you are well, my friend!

Tessa said...

what an awesome place!! i can't eat oysters. a steaming pot of mussels, oh yes, so i know it's not a texture thing, but for some reason i can't bring myself to eat an oyster! ok, i'm off to catch up on your blog. 13 posts behind....good grief. i haven't been reading blogs lately, no time. i've missed you! xo, Tessa