Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Long Hair Story Short

It all started with the best of intentions. I cancelled Stella's much-needed appointment to get her hair cut for a multitude of reasons and thought it could be done at home. Long story short, it resulted in an emergency trip to Super Cuts, the closest place that would be open 15 minutes to closing time on a Sunday evening. I had envisioned an adorable, flippy, shoulder-length bob, however, the correction called for a much shorter style, especially in the back. Stella cried hard all the way there. But then she sat quietly in the chair, with a little peanut face that said "I'm traumatized but I'm going to get through this". At first I liked it. But it was shockingly different and I couldn't get that brave little face out of my mind...so the guilt set in. But now I love it! It's sassy and it suits her and hey, we all know it grows back. She did say that the girls in her class laughed and said they didn't like it, which made her "nervous and jealous" (clearly not knowing the correct meaning of those words yet). Thankfully, teachers and parents raved about it, which made her feel better and confident. After school, we went to Target and she picked out a cute new hair accessory and before the night was over, she told me she loved it.

So here are pictures from how our Sunday started, playing in the yard, pre-cut. And then some post-cut shots...

9 comments:

JMW said...

Love it! You're right, it's a sassy cut and very fitting for your cute girl. My daughter has worn her hair this length for many years and is now growing it out. Although, with the projected hotter-than-normal summer, I have a feeling she'll be back to the bob again.

Your Southern Peach said...

I can't tell you how many times I've contemplated cutting the boys hair and chickened out in the end.

She looks cute as can be and I'm sure it's one of those mommy moments you'll never forget :)

birdie blue said...

love it, tiffany. stella looks a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e!

xo
molly

Amanda said...

Oh it's DARLING!!! I don't know what I was expecting but I think it is absolutely adorable! Chin up Stella girl... XO

Susie @ Maddie's Nest said...

I think it looks great---sounds like Stella took it all in her stride too, can you believe how grown up they are getting?! We are in the bang growing stage over here so we haven't been to the salon recently....but I am thinking once her bangs grow out we are going to go for a little inverted bob....the long hair looks so scraggly by the time Maddie gets home from school!

eas said...

Oh she looks so sweet! I love that she was so brave.

P.S. Did you ever find the Lilly Crackers? I have a few extras I can send your way. I know how hard of a time I had finding them last year.

Robyn said...

Well, you just tell her I love it! It makes her look very grown up and will be so easy this summer!
love to all of you!

Tessa said...

I was nervous and jealous too when I cut my middle of the back long hair into a short bob and I was 18 at the time. Nervous to cut it, and jealous of all the girls who could still put theirs in a ponytail! ;) but I too "grew" to live it and then kept it for the next 20 years. Ha! I'm just now growing it out and think I might be nervous and jealous all over again!

I adore Stella's hair short. It seems to fit her personality better, no?

Holli said...

Oh my gosh, how CUTE!!! Love it!